ONE punter enjoyed the international break more than most after scooping £3,760… with a losing bet!
The Betfair customer put together a football accumulator at colossal odds of 1701/1!
The bettor staked £10 on the six-fold, which would have returned £1710 if all six picks had won.
One bumper selection included Belgium HT/ France FT at 30/1 in their Nations League semi-final showdown.
The first completed selection was the UAE and Iran to be drawing at the break with the visitors winning in the second half.
The second breezed in at 2/5 with Australia brushing aside Oman 3-1 courtesy of goals from Anwer Mabil, Martin Boyle and Mitchell Duke.
The third pick… wasn’t so easy.
The punter needed China to beat Vietnam with the match being a draw at half time.
China took a 2-1 lead in the 75th minute but a stoppage-time equaliser for Vietnam looked to have ended the bet.
Accumulator in full
- UAE vs Iran – Draw at HT, Iran Win FT – 10/3
- Australia vs Oman – Australia Win – 2/5
- China vs Vietnam – Draw at HT, Chine Win FT – 10/3
- Belgium vs France – Belgium lead at HT, France to Win – 30/1
- Venezuela vs Brazil – Brazil Win – 1/3
- Mexico vs Canada – Mexico Win – 4/6
£10 stake = £3,760 returns
However, in the 95th-minute We Lei scored to capture all three points and keep this punter’s chances alive.
But there was more drama set to follow when France pulled off a stunning recovery to beat Belgium 3-2.
Roberto Martinez’s side boasted a 2-0 lead at the break but Karim Benzema and Kylian Mbappe levelled with 20 minutes remaining.
Romelu Lukaku then had a goal disallowed three minutes before Theo Hernandez clinched a 90th minute winner to secure this incredible 30/1 shout.
With Venezuela beating at Brazil at half-time in the early hours of Friday morning – our bettor decided to cash out for £3,760.
It was looking like the wrong decision when Brazil turned things around – but Mexico failing to beat Canada would have seen the the customer leave with nothing.
Remember to gamble responsibly
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
- Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org
For help with a gambling problem, call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or go to www.gamstop.co.uk to be excluded from all UK-regulated gambling websites.