1. Politics and the NFL just can’t seem to have a full breakup.
While many people focused on Jennifer Lopez and Shakira shaking all sorts of body parts during their halftime show at Super Bowl LIV on Sunday, some people wondered if a political message was being sent by Lopez when her daughter joined her on stage from inside a cage-like contraption before singing a snippet of Bruce Springsteen’s Born in the U.S.A.
Lopez seemed to confirm that there may have been something there in an Instagram caption on Monday, writing, “Other people can try to build walls, keep us out or put us in cages. We are proud to recognize that all of us together are what makes this beautiful country truly great.”
However, Lopez later deleted the, “Other people can try to build walls, keep us out or put us in cages.” portion of the caption
Did Lopez delete the line because she didn’t want backlash from the NFL? Did Lopez delete the line because she didn’t want backlash from Pepsi, which sponsored the halftime show? Did she delete the line because she just didn’t want to deal with trolls in her Instagram comments?
It’s hard to say, but deleting the sentence makes you think someone got in her ear.
2. Here are some Super Bowl ratings tidbits. Once again, the halftime show had a larger audience than the game.
FOX’s pregame show was up 26 percent over last year’s pregame show on CBS.
Not fake news.
3. This is one hell of a stat.
4. Watch until the end.
5. Julian Edelman is pulling out all the stops to get Tom Brady back in New England.
6. A new SI Media Podcast will drop tomorrow morning. Recents guests have included Kevin Harlan, Brent Musburger, Chris Long and Curt Menefee. Catch up by subscribing and downloading on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher or Google Play.
7. RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY: The end of the NFL season begins the countdown to the start of the MLB season. So here’s what might be the most famous baseball commercial of all time.
Be sure to catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and check out the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on iTunes, Spotify or Stitcher. You can also follow Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.