JAMIE CARRAGHER claims that sacking Nuno Espirito Santo was the right call – and that Tottenham made a mistake appointing him in the first place.
Speaking on Monday Night Football, the Liverpool legend revealed that he never considered Nuno to be the fight fit for Spurs and said that his sacking was inevitable.
Carragher, 43, said: “I don’t feel this is a bad sacking, I think it was a bad appointment initially.”
The Portuguese manager, 47, lasted only four months at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium before being given his marching orders by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.
Speaking about Nuno’s sacking, Carragher also said: “It doesn’t seem right that a manager would lose his job so early into a season.
“Ten games is nothing but it’s something that we all saw coming.
“I don’t think anyone felt at the time, when Nuno got the Tottenham job, that it was a perfect fit.
“I always thought it would be difficult for him to be there next season. I didn’t envisage that it [he would leave] would happen so quickly.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
“There’s been some bad results along with poor performances. It was something that was expected sooner rather than later.”
Carragher also claimed that Nuno’s sacking was less about the results and more about Spurs’ poor performances this season.
Spurs have only scored 9 goals in their ten games so far, which is the joint-19th worst record in the league.
Nuno was awarded the Premier League Manager of the Month award for August after Spurs won their opening three games, including a win over Manchester City.
But things started to go badly wrong for Nuno when Spurs were beaten 3-0 by Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in September.
I don’t feel this is a bad sacking, I think it was a bad appointment initially
Jamie Carragher on Monday Night Football
Their 3-0 defeat at home to Manchester United on Saturday was the final straw, with woeful Spurs totally out-battled by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s under-fire side.
Spurs are reportedly already in advanced negotiations with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to become their new manager.
The 52-year-old Italian was initially approached to become Spurs boss in the summer, but negotiations broke down due to Conte’s financial demands.
The Italian reportedly demanded a £15million-a-year salary, as well as a transfer budget of over £100m, which Levy felt was not viable and decided to pursue other targets.
Conte is thought be in London finalising terms with the club and could be officially appointed tomorrow, in time to lead Spurs against Vitesse on Thursday.
He has reportedly been offered an 18-month deal and hopes to get stuck in as quickly as possible by taking training on Tuesday.
The Lilywhites take on Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday, which could be Conte’s first taste of Premier League action since he left Chelsea in July 2018.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS