CONOR MCGREGOR has hinted at a stunning return to UFC after posting a cryptic tweet on Thursday night.
The Notorious announced his shock retirement from MMA for a third time in four years back in June.
Explaining his decision to retire, the Irish superstar said: “The game just does not excite me, and that’s that.
“All this waiting around. There’s nothing happening. I’m going through opponent options, and there’s nothing really there at the minute. There’s nothing that’s exciting me.”
Yet McGregor has since been inundated with offers to return and had fans excited with a cryptic message on social media.
The 32-year-old teased a comeback by writing on Twitter: “I accept.”
The short and simple message could be in reference to a number of different possible fights from Tony Ferguson to Justin Gaethje.
McGregor’s tease also came just hours after Khamzat Chimaev had called him out alongside some of the UFC’s other star names.
Swedish welterweight ace Chimaev, 26, won two fights in ten days on Fight Island as he broke out in the pro ranks.
He recently claimed he travelled to Ireland to “beat up” McGregor – only to be detained by police and dumped in a cell.
Hours before the Irishman’s ‘I accept’ tweet, Chimaev had posted: “I’m getting bored, please Dana White give me Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal and Conor McGregor same night.
“I can smash all these guys… I’m not cocky guy I’m just confident. I understand if they don’t want to fight me.”
If Conor wants to fight, I’m down for that. I’d love to fight a southpaw. I’d do really well.
However, others believe McGregor was responding to Ferguson’s call-out earlier this week.
El Cucuy had issued the challenge for Mac and Dustin Poirier to fight him in a UFC lightweight title eliminator.
He told ESPN: “So far as fights go, if Conor wants to fight, I’m down for that. I’d love to fight a southpaw. I’d do really well.
“You want to give me Conor, you give me Conor.
“You want to give me Poirier, we’ll make it happen, and then we’ll fight for the winner of the Gaethje and Khabib fight.”
But McGregor being the name draw that he is, he could have been put on notice by UFC president Dana White’s recent statements.
The American promoter admitted that he still believes McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov II is the “fight to make”.
When asked who could be the Russian’s next challenger if he defeats Gaethje, White responded: “He is fighting Gaethje next.
“I don’t know who his last fight would be to make him 30. I don’t know.
“I mean listen, [on the] Conor McGregor fight. I know Conor has always wanted that fight since the last one, I mean that is the fight to make.
“I don’t know, we will see how this all plays out. But, the Gaethje one is absolutely, positively the next fight for him.”